2012年1月29日星期日

What is the meaning of this poem???

I am trying to figure what the meaning may be, but i am having alot of trouble. This is for my AP Literature class; i would truly appreciate it if you would please help me! thank you. Poem is below:







I am alive -- I guess by Emily Dickinson



I am alive -- I guess --

The Branches on my Hand

Are full of Morning Glory --

And at my finger's end --



The Carmine -- tingles warm --

And if I hold a Glass

Across my Mouth -- it blurs it --

Physician's -- proof of Breath --



I am alive -- because

I am not in a Room --

The Parlor -- Commonly -- it is --

So Visitors may come --



And lean -- and view it sidewise --

And add "How cold -- it grew" --

And "Was it conscious -- when it stepped

In Immortality?"



I am alive -- because

I do not own a House --

Entitled to myself -- precise --

And fitting no one else --



And marked my Girlhood's name --

So Visitors may know

Which Door is mine -- and not

What is the meaning of this poem???
Kiwi is right about everything but I would add this:



Seems like she is in a coma... Alive, yet unconscious



She has no house = she is not in the grave yet



Girlhood name = maiden name, on the door to her hospital room so that people may know where she is (as she is unable to tell them).
Reply:This is a hard one. The meaning is a bit obscure.



I think Ms Dickenson was a bit depressed that day. She's alive, and can prove it only because she can hold flowers, and feel them in her hand.



She's alive because she can breathe against a glass, and see her breath fogging up the glass. Therefore, she must be breathing.



She's alive because she's not displayed in a coffin in the parlor. There are no visitors viewing her body, and asking questions on how she died.



I am not sure what the last bit about not owning a house might refer to. Except that she doesn't own one yet.



Maybe she feels you have to own a house that is exclusively yours, no one else's. "Fitting no one else" would mean that she fixed up the house especially for herself, as she would want it to be.


没有评论:

发表评论